Sunday, April 05, 2009

I Love Sopas!

My all time favorite home grown dish is this milky chicken macaroni soup popularly known in Filipino households as "sopas". Soup, vegies, chicken and milk mixed together into a complete meal! A bowl of this rich soup is not enough. I'd always spice my bowl up with a lot of pepper! The traditional sopas from my mom doesn't have milk. She would always serve it with a separate container for milk so we can customize it to our taste, and it tastes better because the milk is not cooked so you can savor the creaminess.

Now, the fun part. I tried to cook sopas for dinner here in Singapore a couple of times. My mom did give me her secret recipe, but i thought i'd give it my own touch. The main ingredients are shreaded cooked chicken, cooked elbow macaroni, diced carrots, shredded cabbage, chicken stock, chicken cubes, chinese sausage, evarporated milk, salt, pepper, and scrap ham from Adelina's. I mix them all together until its boiling, after occasional stirring, check if the carrots are cooked, and voila! I can cook sopas! My housemates loved it! Im not exactly a person who is into cooking but i was pleasantly surprised my take on this classic filipino soup dish turned out better than i expected. I cooked sopas again last night, and while doing it, I suddenly missed my mom's sopas. Mommy! Make sure to cook sopas when i visit home on the 25th ok!

No comments: